Old 30-09-2004, 08:34 AM
alain letrange

"Sean Houtman" a écrit dans le message de news:
1096502536.yRFRd905vDPKsOZjUdAA/g@teranews...
(Iris Cohen) wrote in
:

Thanks very much for the explanations.
This is one of the reasons some people advocate writing such
cases (an old name of a genus used as an epithet) with an initial
capital, in this case Punica Granatum.

I thought that some years ago they made a rule against it. Always
having the species name in lower case is less confusing. Now that
I know it is not an adjective, I wouldn't have any further trouble
along that line. I should have realized that Heptapleurum
arboricola is an epiphyte from the name, but it certainly doesn't
look like one.

You will never convince me a ponderosa pine is masculine.

Chacon a son gout. I've seen full size ponderosa pines out West,
and I've seen them as bonsai. There is a magnificent one in our
National Bonsai & Penjing Museum, donated by the National Forest
Service. I don't believe I've ever seen a ponderosa bonsai grown
by a woman. Definitely a guy thing.

All pines are masculine. Take a look at the Genus name, and
pronounce it using the various rules available. You may notice the
amazing similarity between one of them and the English word for an
undoubtably masculine body part. Add the meaning of the Spanish word
"ponderosa" and that one in particular becomes even more masculine.

Sean

Excuse my bad language, perhaps I've not well understand the question !
Is this site good for you ? (in french :-)))

http://www.tela-botanica.org/index.p...presentati on

have a good day

--
Alain

(enlever le x.)
Mon village en Haute-Soule (loisirs, fleurs...) :
http://perso.club-internet.fr/jarailet
Carnet de voyages : http://perso.club-internet.fr/jarailet/Randobal