Old 30-09-2004, 11:04 AM
Philip

I have ordered a worm bin.
I would welcome any advice on what NOT to put in (eg citrus? onion?)
and how to keep it protected through the winter, as it will be
outdoors, unless I put it in a dark garage.
Any other hints and tips?
TIA

Pam in Bristol

My wormery is in its first year so I do not have any tried and tested
ideas for overwintering. My wormery is within 5 feet of the house in
a sheltered utility area, and I am hoping that it will be OK there. 2
winters ago I managed to overwinter 4 Pelargoniums in this area, so
that gives some idea of how sheltered it is. As for my worms, I plan
to use an offcut of carpet to cover the top, and hope that it does the
job.

What not to put in there, the information you have is OK, Onions and
Citrus are not desired. I would also be wary about any animal
products, fats etc. Although on the odd occaision when onion did find
its way in there the worms just left it. There it sat, this pristine
piece of onion skin, obviously surrounded by this unofficial worm
"No-Go" zone.

What to put in there - Peelings, cores, skins, stalks, teabags, weeds,
and corrugated cardboard! Sometimes I think they like my cardboard
better than the green stuff.

My wormery is now full, and I am ready to start using the first tray
of worm output. But this seems to be the wrong time of year to start
potting things up. So I am wondering if it is OK to store wormery
output, for use in the spring.