Old 30-09-2004, 11:27 AM
Victoria Clare

Pam Moore wrote in
:

I have ordered a worm bin.
I would welcome any advice on what NOT to put in (eg citrus? onion?)
and how to keep it protected through the winter, as it will be
outdoors, unless I put it in a dark garage.
Any other hints and tips?

Major risk is waterlogging in the winter - either keep the tap open, or
move it to somewhere dry like the garage.

Mine is outside all year and survives fine with some shelter from a wall,
but if you are somewhere really cold moving it may be a good idea.

Don't put too much of anything in, particularly mouldy bread! I killed off
all of mine with an overdose of that and had to start again.

I have put citrus fruit peel and onions in mine with no problems. I think
the real trick is not to overload it with any one thing.

I find spreading a sheet of newspaper over the contents from time to time
then adding new stuff on top of that keeps flies down and helps stop the
whole thing going runny. The worms will eat the damp newspaper in time,
and in the meanwhile it gives them a bit of shelter, so they come right to
the top to eat the new stuff.

Shredded paper packing material and rabbit hutch cleanings are also good.

If your worm-compost goes grey, you are probably adding too much paper, but
the worms seem to survive OK!

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill