Old 30-09-2004, 11:40 AM
Amber Ormerod

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
I have ordered a worm bin.
I would welcome any advice on what NOT to put in (eg citrus? onion?)
and how to keep it protected through the winter, as it will be
outdoors, unless I put it in a dark garage.
Any other hints and tips?
TIA

Pam in Bristol

I got my wormery last October. Over the Winter I had awful problems with it.
I don't have much paper waste and I think because of that I had problems
with it being too wet. It was in the garage too and I think though this
protects from frost it doesn't get any heating up during the day in the
Winter which would have allowed at least some liquid to evaporate off - I
have been told my someone thats why they put it in the greenhouse over
Winter but their greenhouse is close to the house.

One of the other problems I have found is that at some point I have
accidently introduced flies into it. They are just fruit flies, I think from
something getting left on the counter top too long. Due to this I have way
more flies in my wormery than in my compost bin (non to date), but there are
loads of them. I also found the tap block up a few times and when I spotted
it 2l of water came out which is probably why it was running too wet.

Due to my problems I have only had one tray of compost out of it so far, but
there are two waiting to be taken out atm when they finish the paper bit I
added to try and dry it out.