Old 30-09-2004, 02:04 PM
Victoria Clare

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote in
k:

So, one has (for the sake of argument) a plastic bin with a tap or drain
at the bottom.

You heave in weeds, certain kitchen waste, cardboard, etc and inoculate
it with some of those little stripey worms you find in compost heaps.

From where do you extract the product?

Mine is made in a series of stacked trays. You take out the bottom tray
and stick the contents on the garden, then put the empty tray back on the
top. You lose a few worms with the compost, but my colony soon makes more
and most of them are up in the top trays anyway, munching.

The worm bin, being relatively small and civilised, is convenient to keep
just outside the back door so I don't have to trog up to the big mean
monster compost heaps in my slippers each time I have a few potato peelings
to dispose of.

It's also a handy source of worms for the rare but alarming occasions when
the cats decide to release an unharmed but shocked blackbird in the
livingroom (if you just pick the bird up and put it outside,it is too
exhausted to fly away. If you leave them somewhere quiet till the next
morning with a big plateful of worms & half an apple, they are raring to go
again, I have discovered).

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill