Old 30-09-2004, 03:31 PM
Anna Kettle

An established worm bin in a reasonably sheltered spot doesn't need
any extra protection cos the worms will retreat into the compost if
the weather gets too cold. If you are starting off a bin at this time
of year then the worms won't have much home produced bedding so they
will need a bit more tender loving care over the first winter

Once your bin is established you can feed the worms anything though as
another poster said, not too much of any one thing. Flies in the worm
bin are normal and nothing to get upset about

In late spring once the weather has improved I rake off the top inch
or so of uncomposted stuff, upend the bin to get out the lovely
compost and sieve it to get any worms and rejected matter out

Onion skins get rejected by my fussy worms, so the skins then go on
the compost heap for a second attempt at recycling. The worms go back
in their bin

I once tried using a worm bin with a tap but the tap kept getting
blocked up and was a pain in the XXXX so now I use a plastic bin with
holes in the bottom and sides which are big enough to allow worms and
water out but are too small to allow rats and hopefully mice to get in

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642