Old 30-09-2004, 04:04 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Janet Baraclough.. contains
these words:

Or are wormbins specially constructed?

Mine's specially constructed from a 50 gallon plastic barrel. The sawn
off top is reversed to make a lid, and a teastrainer bolted over the old
pouring hole is the worms' airhole. Inside at the bottom I made a filter
from an old bread tray and a woven plastic sack, which prevents worms
and compost blocking the run-off tap at the bottom. That drains off the
copious fertile juice. Total cost, 50 p for tea-strainer.

It's well over a year old but only a quarter full, so I haven't any
experience of emptying yet; but the plan is just to shovel it out of the
top. TBH, the compost heap is a faster less complicated way of providing
compost, but the bin is useful for making odourless liquid fertiliser
and getting rid of couch grass etc. I also transfer a shovel of worms
from the wormbin to full, cooled compost heaps, to speed things up.

Ah. Oh. Um, I'm going to have a big ponder about using a stack of old tyres...

Or something.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/