Old 30-09-2004, 05:06 PM
Steve wachs

"The plants are easy to propagate from cuttings. But when we transplant the
rooted cuttings, most of them do not survive. Despite best efforts we could
save hardly 5 percent. Same problem is encountered when its Bonsai is
repotted. "

I transplant Chinese Elms in the spring, just before its growing season
starts. Cutting that root are repotted at this time. I work with a few
different varieties of ems. THe only variegated I work with is called Frosty. I also
work with Seiju ,Yatsabutza, Cedar Elms, one more I received as a Seiju but
is of another variety I am not sure of. I also try Catlins. to me catlins
are touchy. There is a dwarf Elm called Niri. as well

I guess you have to know when your trees go into a dormant period, if you
have one in India.

There is one Variegated Elm that I have great difficulty finding. It 's
called Yuzin. In the spring the entire leaf is cream color almost yellow with
white edges, it retains this color for about 3 weeks then the leave turns
green with white edges. In the spring it is the most striking tree. even among
some of the most colorful maples. I have seen it in a greenhouse among
beautiful bonsai , but the Yuzin stood out every spring.

SteveW

Long Island NY

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++