Old 30-09-2004, 05:07 PM
Kay

In article . 151,
Victoria Clare writes
I find spreading a sheet of newspaper over the contents from time to time
then adding new stuff on top of that keeps flies down and helps stop the
whole thing going runny. The worms will eat the damp newspaper in time,
and in the meanwhile it gives them a bit of shelter, so they come right to
the top to eat the new stuff.

Shredded paper packing material and rabbit hutch cleanings are also good.

If your worm-compost goes grey, you are probably adding too much paper, but
the worms seem to survive OK!

The layers of unrotted cardboard in my compost heap are sandwiched
together with spaghetti- (or perhaps vermicelli-) like layers of worms.
--
Kay