Old 30-09-2004, 11:27 PM
al

"Phil L" wrote in message
They are craneflies.
Their grubs are known as leatherjackets and live in the soil (and they are
ugly as sin!)...no they don't nest, they're not spiders and you can get
rid
of them by keeping windows closed when the lights are on...also turn off
any
outside lights as they will hang around and wait for you to open the door!

Thanks for the pointer - I've been able to find them on the web now. I
think the Americans have a different thing in mind when they say Daddy
long-legs .. would seem to be an actual spider over there that eats other
spiders.

I've not noticed these leatherjackets in our garden at all - least not in
the grass. The flowerbeds are a little overgrown at the moment so they
could be hiding in there! Apparently September is their main month.

In August, we had a lot of big normal spiders running around in the house -
they seem to have left now, though there's quite a few of them with big webs
outside still. I combined two of their webs one time accidentally with a
stick and moments later they attacked each other!! Was very funny to watch
(don't flame me spider lovers!!