Old 30-09-2004, 11:40 PM
Phil L

ex WGS Hamm wrote:
:: "Phil L" wrote in message
:: .. .
::: Phil L wrote:
::::: al wrote:
::::::: In the last couple of weeks, we've been inundated with them.
::::::: They seem to be attracted to light and fly in through any
::::::: window or door open for more than 2 seconds!
:::::::
::::::: What exactly are they? I've seen some contradictory accounts
::::::: by Googling. Are they spiders? Why have I got so many? Do
::::::: they nest? How can I get rid of them?
:::::::
::::: They are craneflies.
::::: Their grubs are known as leatherjackets and live in the soil
::::: (and they are ugly as sin!)...no they don't nest, they're not
::::: spiders and you can get rid of them by keeping windows closed
::::: when the lights are on...also turn off any outside lights as
::::: they will hang around and wait for you to open the door!
:::::
:::
:::
::: I meant to say the pointed ones are actually females, it's her
::: 'thing'...she lays eggs from it!
:: Ovipod?

yes, her pointy, egglaying thing.

::: The adults do not eat anything but their larvae do, mostly
::: vegetation in the soil.
:: Ah that's why they are so slim.

Ours aren't slim! - big fat ugly grubs, the birds seem to enjoy them though.