Old 01-10-2004, 12:26 AM
Phil L

al wrote:
:: "Phil L" wrote in message
:: ...
::: We get them from time to time but it's a bit cold where I am and
::: we've not had the windows open on an evening now for about a
::: month...now is their favourite time of year, maybe
::: breeding/egglaying season?
::: They adore grass, especially long grass so if you have a lot of
::: that near you, you're more at risk of being troubled by them.
::: They are harmless, cannot bite nor sting, nor pass on any nasty
::: diseases...I
::: think they go towards the light to find a mate? - I don't
::: know...we don't see a lot of them here, we seem to get more moths
::: than craneflies on summer
::: nights.
:::
::
:: It's still warm enough to want at least the bathroom window open
:: overnight (famous last words!).

Maybe where you are (London?)...I'm about 200 miles further North and we've
had the fire on for the past two weeks! - we've not put the central heating
on yet, but I think it's getting close...

We have a nice fresh grassy
:: garden (new lawn last year) and a large field with a river running
:: through it behind our property, so probably ample breeding ground
:: there!!
::
That's probably where they're coming from

:: They're just damned annoying - even their flight is noisy! Keep
:: landing in drinks and stuff .... grrrr ....!
::
They're dead easy to catch, they don't even try to fly away! - you can knock
them down with a cloth in mid flight and just pick them up off the floor,
they're pretty dumb really...not good flyers at all.