Old 01-10-2004, 01:34 AM
ned

"al" wrote in message
.uk...
snip
I've not noticed these leatherjackets in our garden at all - least

not in
the grass. The flowerbeds are a little overgrown at the moment so

they
could be hiding in there! Apparently September is their main month.

The leatherjackets will be right down in the soil at grass root level
munching away on the roots.
After feeding all through the summer its now time for them to pupate,
hatch and get mating.

There are several different species ranging from tiddlers not much
bigger than midges right up to the biggies (Tipula maxima) with a
4inch leg span. They are all harmless to humans.

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 29.09.2004