Old 28-09-2004, 06:43 PM
solo_voyager

B. nodosa at night is hard to beat. Especially when I can smell it
from the far end of the house.

B. cuculata is nice too, untill you smell nodosa next to it. Then, it
smells like a skunk, figurativly speaking.

Phal. bellina is not as nice but, I still like it.

Den. anosmum's almost overpowering fragrance is nice to cycle through
the house too.

D. aphyllum: I like it, but it's not a favorite.
D. primulinum smells very similar.

D. crystallinum fills the house with the almost overpowering odor of
honey. A strong fragrance.

D.'s parishii, loddigessii and gratiosissimum have their charm too.

D. kingianum deserves to be much higher on the list than here. It's a
nice one.

Same for Onc. ornithorhynchum with it's light sweet fragrance.

Then, there are my D. Nobile hybrids:
Yukidaruma 'King' is definittely my favorite with

Happy Bride 'Orient" close behind.

But, my absolute favorite? It's a local native orchid: Platanthera
dilatata, the White Bog Candle. M-M-M-M-M-M...I love it!

As long as my list of cultivated orchids is, I have to add Spiranthes
romanzoffiana (Hooded Ladies' Tresses) to the natives as a favorite
also.

H Playel" wrote in message ...
Well, many love Oncidium Sharry Baby. It is obvious that certain Cattleyas
have a floral scent. Maxillaria tenuifolia smells like coconut. Brassavola
nodosa is the Queen of the Night and Oncidium ornitorhynchum have a
vanilla-soap fragrance.

But there are so many others!

I am looking for tips of other flowering orchids. I know there are websites
with lists, but I want personal recollection and recommendation here!

I am especially looking for orchids that smell spicy, preferably like
cloves.
Of course it varies between persons and between clones, but as I said, I'm
curious what you think.

Personally I recommend Dendrobium hancockii (strong scent of honey). That's
my favourite fragrant orchid, I think.
Stanhopea hernandezii smells like hartz (if that is even an english word),
which I like.

What are your favourites?