Old 01-10-2004, 03:52 AM
Ann in Houston

Jan, this newsreader gets hard for me to follow the responses. Did you see
my explanation to Ingrid about the drain and washing out the gravel from the
top? What do you think of that. There are a lot of ponders down here that
have this set-up, as promoted and taught by our premier pond nursery in the
area. They've had one on their beee-yootiful display pond for about five
years, and I think they clean it at the end of each season. I'm not really
sure. I think I'll ask them.
"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 21:51:17 GMT, "Ann in Houston"

wrote:

I can't bring myself to just say "no you don't".
snip
we are already on our second day of crystal clear water.

I would never have recommended a gravel anything for in the pond or out of
the pond filter, because of the difficulty of cleaning them. The problem
all boils down to dirt & dust that don't break down, as organics do
break-down.... unfortunately as the organics build-up and break down they
use up a pond's buffer and can cause pH crashes... so be diligent about
checking your KH in the coming years and adding baking soda as needed.

As is, I'd say, leave it alone, the green algae on top will break down on
it's own, and once plants fill in, you won't see it. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~