Old 01-10-2004, 12:06 PM
Roy

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 00:41:30 -0400, "Bill Stock"
wrote:

===I've seen a few of you using Eavestrough deicing cable to warm/de-ice your
===pond. I gather this stuff does not get warm enough to melt the liner? Does
===it leak current into the water?
===
===I did some measuring today and I only seem to have 24" of depth, so I'm a
===little concerned that the bubbler won't do it. I could swear I had 30" (must
===be old age ), but I'm not sure I was hitting bottom either. The netting
===was obscuring my view. The plan is to set up a temperature sensor about 8"
===off the bottom and use the deicing cable to maintain a 40 degree temp. I
===don't really want to heat the water, just keep it warm enough to prevent
===fishsicles. Do you think 300 watts will be enough if I cover the pond?
===
===
===
===

I dunno about using the electric heating cables normally used for on
house eaves and in gutters......Are they approved for submersion?
Being in ice or in a rain / sleet storm on a rood is not really
submerged. Same for outside extension cords, while they may work fine
in wet rainy weather, even with the plug ends out of water they sure
are not supposed to be submerged...... While I don;t have a dog in
this conversation in regards to having a pond in a potential freeze
situation, the use of a de-icing cable just spurs my interest in
regards to it being safe for such a use......
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.