Old 01-10-2004, 01:51 PM
ex WGS Hamm

"BAC" wrote in message

"Magwitch" wrote in message
Kate Morgan muttered:

All of my holly bushes and trees are covered with berries, many more
than last year, is it the same all over the country?

kate

Hmmm... I'm old enough to remember winter '62-63 though and I can't say

remember the autumn '62 being exceptional for berries. I think that last
summer's heat and this summer's rain has been good for hollies, rowans,
hawthorns and, most especially, rose hips, the dog roses were

exceptional
this year in our part of the world.

Yes, I can't help but feel that a good crop now is due to particularly
suitable conditions in the past, not anticipation of particularly cold

ones
in the near future. Unless, of course, the weather pattern which gives

rise
to particularly favourable berry conditions includes, as a matter of

course,
a 'bad' winter.

If we now have a bad winter, everyone will say 'the berries were right',

or
words to that effect, if we don't, it will be quietly forgotten - until

the
next time.

Whatever the reason, it does seem to be an exceptional year for berries.
Should be a bumper year for elderberry wine :-)

My gosh you lot. Have you not heard the ancient ditty?

" when ye bushes hang heavy with plentiful berry
and birds and jam makers eat lots and get merry,
beware if the furglers grow fat and plump
mind where you tread and get ready to jumpe,
when the howls of the mangletrotter sound loud on yon hill,
get ye olde thermalles from ye closet cos here comes a chille".
I *always* abide by it.