Old 01-10-2004, 02:35 PM
Phil L

Cat wrote:
:: My mother-earth sister, who is into all things green and
:: environmentally conscious, recently commented that I should not
:: compost news print and other printed paper, because of the lead in
:: the ink.
:: I bring most of my waste printed paper to the recycling centre,
:: but have used shredded printed paper and newspaper in the compost
:: heap.
:: What do experienced composters think?
::
Modern inks do not contain any lead, this has been debated to death in
alt.pets.rodents.rats
There are quite a few good sources of information on it, I will try to dig
them out...
It's a compound known as 'carbon black' which is not toxic at all to animal
or humans...rats are more succeptible to poisons through their innability to
vomit and many breeders/fanciers use shredded newspaper as bedding.