Old 01-10-2004, 05:52 PM
JennyC

"Magwitch" wrote in message
Phil Kyle Usenet Arsehole muttered:

Hi as I asked yesterday I would like some suggestions and ideas of what
can
be done to brighten my
garden up. Some of the
things that need to change are obvious but I really need some experienced
ideas. I have posted some images on the link below.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/tracey....ite/garden.htm

I'd put in some raised beds along the fence maybe broken up with a seat,
like an arbour. Paint *all* of the shed the rather nice green colour and
ditch that white, do the same with those concrete fence posts, replace the
net curtains in the shed with bamboo, wooden blinds or shutters. Take up
most of the paving (apart from pathways and where you like to sit) and put
in gravel instead so plants emerge from the gravel (have a look at Beth
Chatto's Mediterranean garden for planting ideas, however it might be a bit
shady for that).

Maybe have a circular raised bed in the middle to break it up and create
hidden areas, or have an 'S' shaped path to your shed - makes the garden
look bigger if you can't see it all at once (also, you could put mirrors on
the white part of the shed if you went for a hi-tech look). Finally, keep it
simple, in the way of aiming to have at the most 3 points of interest
plant-wise for every season, that way the eye goes to that plant and lingers
instead of roaming around.

Anyway - that's what I'd do. If you make a start now on the landscaping and
structure, come spring you'll be putting those plants in.

I agree with all the sound advice above :~)

How about moving the shed to the other side, just leaving enough room to get
into the door of the building behind. The bin can then be hidden from view at
the same time ~

I'd turn the shed sideways so as to form a better seating area where the shed
mow stands. It looks a if you get sun at the end of the garden - what time of
day were the photo's taken?

You could maybe put up a few beams either across from the shed to the building
or to the fence posts for climbers.....

What sort of 'look' do you like ?? Tropical - traditional - modern ??

Must it be low maintenance?

Jenny