Old 01-10-2004, 09:56 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

I'm old enough to remember the winter of 1947/8.

Is it time for my Horlicks yet?

It was in the middle of that winter that I emigrated from Cape Town to
Manchester. Sometimes I'm surprised that I decided to stay in
England.

Ah, but it was so pretty! My ole man molished an igloo for me - his
excuse in later years was that since the snow wouldn't melt there was no
point in shovelling it into heaps.

And I woke on the last day in April to see snow capping the almond tree
outside my bedroom window. The almost black bark, the pink blossom and
the capping of snow was magic - just like a Chinese painting.

The winter had put back the flowering *VERY* late...

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/