Old 02-10-2004, 12:59 AM
John Savage

"Jim Carlock" writes:
The leaves are about 5 inches wide, 5 inches high... John
Savage mentioned an A4 size paper. If that's the 11x17 I
will be thrilled and I think I will plant some seeds tonight.

By the time it is bearing a zucchini will have broader leaves, yes,
up to about 20 inches would be right.

I'm in Tampa, FL. The soil is sandy for the most part. I've
been throwing some of that Viagro fertilizing pellets around.

They like good drainage, plenty of mulch, and regular watering.

I'm thinking the Yamato Cucumbers didn't fruit because they
are in the shade all day long, getting indirect sun.

Also, the bees can easily overlook the smaller flowers of cucumbers
when there are bigger flowers around. You can try pollinating them by
hand: pick the male flower, strip off all petals, and rub the stamens
inside that day's newly opened female flowers.

In May or June, we had some roses that were hit by Black
Spot. All the leaves and branches were cut off because
baking soda and vegetable oil didn't seem to help. It struggled

Mildew is the bane of cucumbers and zucchinis. When you water don't
wet their leaves. Poke the end of the hose into the soil near the
plant and gently soak the soil that way. Avoid splashing the leaves.
I believe the homemade remedy for mildew is baking soda and milk, not
oil. Full cream milk at that. I haven't tried it myself.

The only thing I was unsure about was that all of my cuke
leaves are bigger than cigarette packs, so I was just leaning
into that John might have misposted something, because
the cuke leaves I'm seeing are 2x the size of a cigarette
pack... of course I don't smoke and maybe John's smokes
cigars and calls 'em cigarettes. ;-) What do I know? I've

I had in mind the apple cucumbers, but as you say the bigger varieties
do have proportionately bigger leaves.

A good thing about growing zucchinis is that you don't need the bees.
If you pick the fruit when the flower is fully open then you can eat
both fruit and flower (fry the flower in batter). Otherwise, pick the
fruit as soon as the flower is spent.