Old 02-10-2004, 02:28 PM

I would think so too. in spring the bacteria are the main culprits for disease.
functioning is all about the temperatures at which enzymes can function. while there
are optimal temps, most enzymes can function with quite a wide range. that the
biobugs arent functioning all that well in ice cold temps is illustrated by teh fact
that the string algae seems to thrive only in spring.. in my ponds and in the local
streams. Ingrid

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:

I have one comment (at this time) to add to this thread and that's
regarding bio-media dying when temps go below 50F. My understanding from my
KHA class was that our bio-media stay active (granted less so) down to 40F.
At 40F they, like our koi, go dormant (for lack of a better term), the
bacteria supposedly make a protective film and wait for better times.

With this in mind, last year I left one of my bio-chambers in operation
thru the winter with the small pump I use to circulate during the winter to
keep open water. When spring came and I started up the other chamber using
the big pump. I saw only a tad of ammonia for 2 weeks, that I treated with
a tad of Amquell, after which the filter was up and running. I didn't even
use BZT to jump start it. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~