Old 02-10-2004, 03:42 PM
FACE

Default radical tree surgery

In August, I decided that several hardwood ornamentals I planted about 6
years ago were getting a little out of hand. Pretty much way out of hand as
they are reaching wires, obstructing views, etc.

I moaned and groaned a while coming to a decision, which is to wait until
the sap falls and the leaves fall and then do some major surgery on them.
Since the major branches are out at 10 feet up or less but others and the
main trunks go up from there, I am thinking of cutting them back until they
are not much more than 10 feet tall, and a fraction of their current spread.

I guess I will end up with some relatively thick-trunked, short thick-limbed
trees.

The other option is just cutting them down.-- something I wish i could do
with several of the 80 foot wonders around here.

Knowing what arborists ya'll are, this is the list:

Washington Hawthorne
Radial Crab
Sargentii Crab
Dogwood (at teast 15 years old)
Bradford Pear
Japanese Magnolia
Chaste Tree

And the kicker -- an evergreen:

Lebanon Cedar. (I have no idea how to prune that one shorter without
ruining the shape, but it is already a coupla feet above the main electric
line, and in it....wasn't supposed to get that tall!)

Any comments?

FACE