Old 02-10-2004, 03:15 PM
FarmerDill

I've got some corn stalks left over that I'm going to take
down. The corn stalks I'm noticing are soapy sometimes,
they seem to be basic (opposite of acidic). Does anyone
know if corn stalks are basic and can be used to raise the
PH? :-) I'm speaking from high school chemistry and
knowledge that soap and oil are basic (alkaline). Is that
correct?

I'm reading that potassium is alkaline. I'm not sure on
just how alkaline it is though and if that makes banana
peels alkaline. I would think so but if someone can comment
on that, and guide me in some way, that would be great!

Thanks for the clarifications, John.

--
Jim Carlock
Post replies to the newsgroup.

Some plants can buffer the soil, but ther none that I am aware of that will
raise the pH and that includes corn stalks. On the other hand the decomposition
of some plant matter like oaks leaves and pine straw releases weak organic
acids but the results are somewhat transitory. Peat is usually acidic for that
reason.

Soap is basic, but here we are talking old fashion soap (sodium or potassium
salts of fatty acids) like Granny's lye soap. Most soaps (detergents )
commercially available are neutral.

Potassium is a metal. Plant uptake must be in ionic form usually a salt.
Commercial fertilizers will use eaith potassium oxide (basic) or potassium
chloride (neutral).

The safest way to raise pH to neutral fror vegetables is ground limestone.
Slaked lime (calcium hydroxide) is faster but you hav e less control.

Sheep manure is the best amendment I have ever used on cucurbits, but composted
cow manure will work and it is a lot easier to find.