Old 02-10-2004, 07:16 PM
FACE

Banana trees. :-)
Many years ago as a teenager, i started with one and in a few years had
many. Now I feel you will say that this won't work, but by summer's end the
plant was too big to do much of anything with. I would take a machete
and slap through the trunk about 4 feet high, dig the root ball, put it in
the dark crawlspace, where the furnace also was, and forget about it until
spring.

I never lost one, large or small. shrug

FACE

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 02:02:36 GMT, "Cereus-validus"
in rec.gardens wrote:

First of all, Bananas are giant herbs not trees. They have no woody trunk.

You might try overwintering it in the garage but you must consider giving it
artificial light and supplemental heat so that it will not suffer from being
in extended periods of darkness or too cold.

"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
link.net...
Hi All,

I'm usually over at the orchids group but have a banana question.

I have a banana "tree". Someone gave me a piece of one two years ago. I
grew it in the greenhouse for the winter and placed it outdoors in the
summer. It grew slowly until this summer and now it's 8 feet tall in a 12
inch clay pot. It's very exotic on the patio but now it's too large to

fit
back into the greenhouse this winter.

It hasn't put out any small plants around the base yet or I'd just take

one
and grow from there again.

With winter coming what do you recommend for me to do with this hugh

beast?
I was thinking about putting it into the garage where it would winter over
with the geraniums and other half hardy perennials in pots.

Good Growing,
Gene