Old 02-10-2004, 07:24 PM
Mike Prager

FACE wrote:

I have to say that "ultimately negatively affect its long term health." is
pretty silly when the alternative is cutting it down completely.

If I may jump in, it's not as silly as it may sound. A sick
tree is a liability: it may come down or lose limbs in wind
or ice storms, which could damage property or other trees. It
may be prone to bug or fungus infestations that can spread to
other specimens. So the point (from my view, anyway) is not
that "the poor tree will be sick"; rather, that you may be in
for unintended consequences, worse than losing the tree.

Mike Prager
Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a)
(Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)