Old 03-10-2004, 02:47 AM
Charles

On 2 Oct 2004 10:36:17 -0700, (N. Thornton) wrote:

Hi folks.

I have a passionfruit of unknown variety, and want to know if I can
eat the fruits without harm. While I very much doubt there are toxic
varieties, I'd rather know

fruits are 1.5 to 2" long and upto 1.5" across
Flowers contain purple/brown, yellow, and a very thin band of white.

Thanks, NT

No passion fruit are listed in my poison plants book. Some of the
fruits tease bad, to me, at least, but a friend says that he has
acquired a taste for them and eats them.

The plant itself has some bad stuff in it, Passiflora incarnata has
harmine alkaloids, which are indole in structure ... When taken as a
tea or cigarette, the plant material acts as a mild stimulant.

--

- Charles
-