Old 03-10-2004, 05:31 AM
George

"Nedra" wrote in message
nk.net...
I've been looking for winterish signs and darned if I can find any here in
Eastern
Missouri. The squirrels are active but no more so than in summer. Moreover
there are no squirrel nests up high in the trees. Also, I'm still finding
the outer
shells of black walnuts all over the place. I know it's only the first
week
in October but still ..... Leaves are still on the trees and are still
Green!
Anyone else noticed any winter signs?

Nedra

Where I live in Louisville, we've had a rather mild summer with only 2 days
above 90. It has also been much wetter than normal. We finally had a dry spell
this september due to high pressure parked off of the east coast (which also
funneled so many of the hurricanes towards Florida). The weather turned even
cooler late in september, and now we've had our first "cold" front move through
which brought below normal temperatures. Leaves are turning here, and the cold
front left a lot of them on my patio, forcing me to net my pond earlier than
last year. We had an early spring here (at least three weeks early). Judging
from this trend, I'd say (regardless of what the Farmers Almanac says) that we
are in for an early winter (but not necessarily colder than normal) with above
normal precitiation, and higher than normal snow/ice accumulations. But that is
just MOHO.