Old 03-10-2004, 02:52 PM
shazzbat

"St. George" St. wrote in message
Hi,

New to this NG and also gardening.

The house we have moved to has an abandoned vegetable patch which I have
double dug twice (previous owner told me there was buried treasure - and I
believed him) and have dug in household compost and good quantity of

rotten
stable manure.
Currently the plot has green manure, mustard etc., growing.

We would like to grow some early broad beans and are seeking advice as to
what varieties and when to sow etc.
Apart from a catch crop (next Spring ?) we would like to crop at regular
intervals.

Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated.

As others have said, Aquadulce is a good autmn sown broad bean.

And as I have mentioned here before, The advice I was first given is that
"bonfire night is beans night", ie you don't sow them before Nov 5th, or
they're likely to put on too much growth too early, and be frost vulnerable.

Mind you, we're on the south coast, it may be different for your area.

Incidentally, since you're new to it, the area you're in, and the type of
soil you have is always useful info to include when asking a question.

Enjoy yr broad beans.

Steve