Old 03-10-2004, 05:47 PM
Phil L

Pam Moore wrote:
:: On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 16:48:43 +0200, Martin wrote:
::
::: On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 14:44:43 GMT, "Sue" wrote:
:::
:::: ........ how can I protect my outside tap from freezing up?
:::
::: Turn off the supply to it and then drain it.
::
:: I have trouble with this also. I turn off the inside tap, leave the
:: outside tap open, but it does not drain. The pipe goes down on the
:: wall, outside. (inside tap is in loft) I have lagged pipe and
:: outside tap and it has not frozen since I did this ( after several
:: years of having to have bits of pipe replaced because of bursts).
:: This is because the outside pipe does not drain. I'd welcome any
:: tips on how to do this.
:: I've also wrapped the tap itself in bubble wrap.
::
:: Pam in Bristol

the pipe can only burst (through frost) if the water inside it has nowhere
to expand to - it bursts through the pipe.
If the tap is left open, the water will simply expand through the outlet, it
can only burst if it has nowhere to expand.