Old 03-10-2004, 06:35 PM
Rod

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 01:25:24 GMT, oknwht?
wrote:

Discussing the price of this product (weedkiller-Roundup etc.) does not
make it ok to use. There was a suggestion early on in this post that simply
said:
"Just turn it over..." and
"Using weed killer is not good for a vegetable garden".
What more does one need to know.
But then it is your vegetable garden...please don't invite me over for
supper...!
Will you actually give these vegetables to your kids? Your friends? Your
parents? And you, yourself, will actually eat them?
Don't do it-turn it over. It's called green manure and it will nurture
the soil...it's fall and you can't grow anything now anyway.
Turn it over and let nature take its course. In the spring you can plant
your vegetable seeds and know you did the right thing.
In fact turn it over now and plant a cover crop. You would want one that
will smother the weeds. Ask your local gardening shop about that.
With love...of veggies,
Twiggy

Like countless millions of well nourished healthy people in the world,
we do use it, we eat produce grown in areas treated with it. Before
the application of modern science to agriculture there were far fewer
people on this planet, and a greater proportion of them were
malnourished or downright starving than is the case now. Don't knock
it - there's never been a better time to be alive.
Roundup or it's generic equivalents are excellent products to use to
clean up a badly overgrown area prior to getting it into food
production.
Nothing wrong with green manure either but it aint gonna get rid of
your perennial weeds and get your land back into efficient
production.
Hard labour or Roundup? Amateurs can choose. For most people earning a
living from the land there isn't any choice given the the absence of a
huge low paid labour force and relentless downward pressure on prices
exerted by we the consumers (not the supermarkets, they wouldn't last
5 minutes if we didn't use 'em).

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.