Old 03-10-2004, 11:06 PM
Mike Lyle

"David Hill" wrote in message ...
Phagat wrote "....
The majority of these locations are also arboretums or have

experimental
gardens, but if someone were more comfortable finding the same

locations
with the words "botanical garden" attached, use this search page

instead:
http://www.bgci.org.uk/botanic_gardens/find_garden.html
which search page can, of course, also be used to search for

herbaria.
........"

I did a search using Wales as "state" as it wont recognise Wales as a
country.
Of the results 3 may have some living examples all the others are museum or
university collections of preserved specimens.

You mean of those listed at Paghat's link? Are you sure? I flipped
through the list checking Turkey and all the Arab countries listed,
and quite a few of those are sure to be genuine gardens. Our OP should
start with Iran, Turkey, Egypt, and Algeria, I'd suggest; I vaguely
remember visiting the one in Khartoum, too. I found it interesting
that Syria wasn't the I'd have expected them to have one.

(It gave strange results under Wales!)

Mike.