Old 04-10-2004, 01:03 AM
Janet Galpin

The message
from Janet Baraclough.. contains
these words:

I recommend Beeline Professional Painters Hand Cleanser, available by
post from Screwfix whose excellent catalogue you can find on the web. It
cleans just about anything from your hands but is completely gentle on
the skin.

There's another product you might like called something like
"invisible glove", available from Lakeland Plastics iirc..it's a
greaseless protective lotion cleanser you rub on your hands before
starting messy jobs. I've tried both and prefer the Beeline stuff.

Janet.

Do either of these work with the general ingrained garden grime and
vegetable dye which puts itself into the many crevices of dry neglected
skin? Every Sunday evening I attempt to get my hands ready for
re-entering mainstream respectable society, but each week fail
spectacularly. I've tried soaking in neat bleach, but my sons have made
me promise not to do that any more!

Try the "invisible glove" stuff, or Dermaguard.

I am a sad person. All I have ingrained is the habit of rubbing on
high-factor sun cream,plus Avon skin-so-soft as midge repellent, plus
some Nivea hand cream on the hands, before setting out into the garden
(or anywhere, really)..so my hand skin is generally well lubricated. I
wear gloves (various kinds) for digging, weeding, pruning etc) to avoid
getting injuries/rough skin/ingrained dirt on my hands. Reflexology
clients don't appreciate them. Last thing before bed, more handcream.
Also, we still wash up dishes by hand :-) My nails are cut short anyway.

I just use Beeline to get rid of glue, varnish, paint etc.

Janet

Thanks for this.
The feel of the soil is part of my pleasure in gardening and I have some
kind of perverse delight in getting disgustingly dirty - until Sunday
evening! So I've never taken to the idea of gloves, except leather
gauntlets for tough painful jobs.
I really must use more handcream. School students don't appreciate dirty
hands either.
Janet G