Old 04-10-2004, 04:26 PM
Toni

"Cichlidiot" wrote in message

It really does come down to the ballast and bulb regardless of what system
you're using. The ballast affects the intensity and the bulbs affect the
spectrum of light available for the plants.

With most lighting systems this is so, but when using T-5's the reflector is
a much larger part of the equation. You want individual reflectors for each
bulb, as the whole point of using T-5's to start with is to harness all of
the intensity that the bulbs put out. One catch all, flat type reflector
cannot suffice. The Sunlight Supply Tek-Light's are one good example of
proper T-5 reflectors- an individual reflector for each bulb.

I use a T-5 system on my reef tank and the bulbs are indeed available in the
6500º K spectrum from ATI and GE- possibly others as well.
You will *love* these bulbs!

And I think one 35w bulb would be adequate. You run into issues with
shallower tanks and T-5 lighting, but for your dimensions one would be fine.
It all boils down to your setup- are you planning on running CO2? If so a
two bulb system could be best. If not, go with the one. I run a lovely
planted Discus tank with 1.2 wpg of power compacts- this is referred to as a
low light/low tech setup and maintenance is a breeze.

--
Toni
http://www.cearbhaill.com/discus.htm