Old 04-10-2004, 05:21 PM
FACE

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 02:59:27 -0700, "gregpresley"
in rec.gardens wrote:

Some of the trees on your list are not going to grow much taller -
hawthornes and dogwoods top out at around 20 feet or so, usually - and the
top part of their canopies are thin, light branches, so should not pose a
real threat to wires that are, say, at 18 feet above the ground or so.
However, some of your other trees will get bigger than that - any kind of a
tree that can form a heavy limb above the wires should be cut down rather
than topped. Cedar of Lebanon is a massive tree, although it is usually
broad rather than tall. A Lebanon cedar tree of any size should be quite
valuable, since they are usually quite slow growing. (Apparently yours is an
exception). It's possible that you could get a landscaper in your area to
buy it and remove it for some large property that has the space for such a
majestic tree.

I agree that they should be near topping out.

The cedar was quite a surprise. I bought it for the ridiculous price of $2
at the nursery and it was about 24" and in very bad shape. It was in what I
came to call "death row" of the nursery where they put the things "not up to
snuff" on markdown and each week marked them down further and moved them one
section closer to the dumpster if not sold. Obviously the last stop was the
dumpster. This tree was in the last section right next to the dumpster. I
really coddled it and when it reached about 10' it really went into Zoom!
growth mode.

I expected it to be slower growing -- even stunted perhaps because of it's
early misfortune (parasitic leafworms I think they are called which was why
the nursery did not think it saleable). I cut off the bad foliage parts,
planted it in full sun which I understood the parasites to not like, and
watered it well the first two years. Yes it is a beautiful tree.

FACE