Old 04-10-2004, 07:17 PM
Mike Lyle

Pam Moore wrote:
On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 09:05:54 +0100, YT2095
wrote:

the green color is caused by a chemical called Solanine, it`s VERY
toxic.

I have heard more than once that you would need to eat pounds of

green
potatoes to do any harm. If you can cut or peel off the green bits

the
rest will be fine. I've done it and I'm still here!

Yes, certainly. I don't think suspect potatoes should be eaten in
pregnancy; but for the rest of us, cut it off, and it's gone. If
there's too much to trim off, or if there are greenish streaks
inside, then you don't want to eat that potato as it'll taste funny
anyhow. Solanine in quantity _is_ dangerous, particularly, I
understand, to the unborn child, and some of it _is_ present in
greened potatoes; but surely it's just good old chlorophyll which
causes the coloration.

Mike.