Old 04-10-2004, 10:30 PM
Kay

In article , Phil L
writes
Kay wrote:
:: In article , Phil L
:: writes
::: The pipe contains 15 mm of water, encased in a 1 mm copper
::: sheath, the tap contains 25mm of water encased in a 10mm brass
::: sheath, which is going to freeze first?
::
:: Neither of them contain anything like that amount of water unless
:: either you have blocked the end of the tap or are keeping it full
:: on. What they both perhaps contain is a small amount of water
:: coating the sides. And the tap is open at the end.
::
:: The likely scenario is, therefore, that the water will freeze at
:: the opening of the tap first, and further trickles will run down
:: and freeze on top in layers until the tap is blocked.
::
Hmmm...now I think I see where everyone's going wrong!...the pipe and tap
will both be (all but) drained, having turned off it's water supply and left
the tap open...what little there is in there *cannot* expand sufficiently to
burst a pipe.

But wasn't it you who said

?
--