Old 05-10-2004, 12:41 PM
ex WGS Hamm

"Phil L" wrote in message
. ..
Cat wrote:
:: "ex WGS Hamm" wrote in message
:: ...
:::
::: "Cat" wrote in message
::: ...
::::
:::: I am not too sure local authorities in Ireland have rat
:::: exterminators ready to pounce at the citizens' request... though
:::: of course I might be wrong. I propose to put rat traps - not
:::: poisoned ones, as I wish no harm on the neighbours' cats - more
:::: the larger versions of what you get for mice.
:::
::: So your neighours won't mind their cats getting broken legs or
::: noses? 0)
:::
:::
::
:: What's better.. a cat with a broken leg, or a cat dead of
:: poisoning? Of course, if the flipping cats were any good in the
:: first place, I would not be in my current predicament ;-)

I think you would be better off using poison to begin with, you won't

deter
them with traps.
You can get some blue pelleted stuff from B&Q which isn't very good, but
it's all they sell...you could do with some of the older stuff, although

I'm
not sure if it's available to the public anymore (sigh), which is blue
wheat - obviously the wheat is the bait and the blue stufff is the
toxin...you may be able to get some from a farmer if you ask around.
don't do as I did and re bait every night as it takes 3-4 days to start
working and those you 'fed' on night one are just using up good

bait...bait
up at 4 day intervals until the bait stays in place for a few days, then
you're clear.

To prevent accidentally killing cats etc, place the bait in a piece of
plastic drainpipe, this serves two purposes: 1)It stays dry and away from
other animals like cats and dogs, 2) it gives the rat seclusion - rats

won't
eat from a 'dodgy' source - if they see another rat die after eating from

particular baited spot, they will not eat there themselves ('Rentakil'

have
properly designed chambers made especially for this reason - there's an
inlet and outlet at each side, with a small box in the centre for the

bait)

All this is probably not required anyway, if you cut out the bread you
probably won't ever see them again.

You can buy bait boxes from a number of sources including online and the
poison blocks to go with them. Cats do not normally eat dead or sick
animals. I have 12 cats and use poison for rats. I won't use the grain type
as it is food for other animals and I'm afraid in case wild birds eat it.