Old 05-10-2004, 12:11 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Martin contains these words:

Yes there are exceptions, the other 99% of people who have a tap fixed to
the side of the house I meant.
:-p

South of the Watford Gap, they don't have frosts. Jaques d'Alltrades
is just theorising. :-)

Don't be thilly! Watford Gap is halfway to the equator from me!

Indeed, one year we had a frost which was as cold as the inside of my
freezer, and the water butt froze solid. It was a steel barrel about
four feet in diameter and nearly four feet high, and with the downpipe
frozen into it, it would have made one big ice lolly. And all the pipes
in the house froze, and even the underground one between the house and
the wellhouse - and that was buried about three feet down.

Water was had by dipping the 1,000 gallon storage tank in the house with
a jet, and the water in the tank was kept from freezing solid by
covering it with old curtains and having a hurricane lamp underneath.

The place I had then was on a smallholding, and was mantled of two skins
of asbestos sheet on a frame of woodworm holding hands. I had a boy
staying with me at the time (I had a broken knee-cap and couldn't easily
carry the animal feed) and it was so cold he moved into my bedroom on
the sofa, and to keep the chill off we had a Valor paraffin stove and
two Aladdin table lamps going full blast, and in the morning there was
ice on the inside walls of the room.

Porage and a fry-up, and lots of hot tea!

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/