Old 05-10-2004, 11:58 PM
anton

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in
message ...
The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains

these words:

"anton" wrote in message

Please don't suggest that anyone put petrol on their hands- it
contains
benzene, for instance, which is really not nice.

I days of old, when I designed and used vacuum systems, we often

used
benzene to clean mechanical components and, occasionally, our

hands.
My hands did not suffer any ill.

Benzene is carcinogenic, especially via occupational exposure.

In that case, either its potency is quite low, or I am lucky.

Maybe, but a score of 0 so far out of 1 is not a terrific way of assessing
the risks of cancer or dermatitis. For both reasons it's not to be
recommended for hand-washing.
http://ptcl.chem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/BE/benzene.html

I find turps on a rag to be pretty good for conifer resin, but I hesitated
before recommending it:
http://physchem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/WH/white_spirits.html

have fun
--