Old 06-10-2004, 08:30 AM
Dave Fawthrop

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 08:07:10 +0100, The Reids
wrote:

| As I negotiated the north circular this morning a voice on the
| radio was saying something about outbreaks of salmonella being
| caused by lettuce contaminated by manure.
| Are there implications here for the home producer? I would have
| thought salmonella would be most likely found in raw chicken
| manure, what about horse manure, can we assume herbivores are
| safe?

Strictly *nothing* is *absolutely* safe, be it getting up in the morning or
staying in bed. Herbivores also have various nasties in their guts.
All soil contains various nasties.

The problem here was IMO almost certainly caused by a problem in *one*
field, and the salmonella was transported all over Europe in lorries.
This has happened before.

The general advice about salads has always been to wash them before eating.

Home growers should IMO continue as normal, the worst thing that can happen
is that you can give your family the runs, and the EHOs will never notice
that.

--
Dave F