Old 06-10-2004, 10:59 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Christopher Green said:

My grandmother told of going to a one-room school in a community where
poke salet was popular. Kids who had eaten this stuff were seated
together in a far corner, because the others couldn't stand the smell.

You sure she wasn't confusing it with that *other* wild spring green, ramps?
Beause I know that ramps (a wild onion or leek, Allium tricocum) will make you
but I've don't remember ever hearing about reeking from poke salet.

(attributed to Don Marti)