Old 06-10-2004, 10:59 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Cereus-validus said:

"Rats with wings" would definitely be a good definition for starlings. They
are vulgar bullies with no redeeming value. There should be a bounty on
killing the pests.

I agree...young starlings cause a lot of damage in my vegetable garden
in the spring. Often it nothing more than vandalism as they don't seem
to know what's edible and what isn't.

Pigeons are more like clowns. When you see the way they walk, you almost
feel sorry for them. Its almost like they need corrective shoes and
rehabilitation.

When you see what a mess they make roosting in large numbers, 'clown'
isn't what comes to mind -- more like 'guano machines'.

My daughter was mightily amused the other day by a sticker which suggested
that 'Pigeons shouldn't eat chili.' And speaking of chili, this Sunday is the
Annual Great Lakes Regional Chili Cook-off downtown in Plymouth:
http://www.plymouth48170.com/events/CCO/CCO.asp

Anyway, back to insulting birds.

While we're at it we should pick a derogatory name for the widely introduced
Canada geese that are pooping all over the parks these days. (In SE MI they've
increased more than 50 times in numbers since the late 70s. It's a man-made
problem as they were enthusiastically released all over the place for years.)

(attributed to Don Marti)