Old 06-10-2004, 12:24 PM
Stephen Howard

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 08:06:41 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"The Reids" wrote in message
.. .
As I negotiated the north circular this morning a voice on the
radio was saying something about outbreaks of salmonella being
caused by lettuce contaminated by manure.
Are there implications here for the home producer?

Of course. So much for organic gardening.

This is precisely the sort of apathetic, generalised hogwash that the
biochemical industry wants everyone to believe - you're not safe
unless you've sprayed, dusted and treated anything and everything that
moves..and plenty more that doesn't.

The fact of the matter is that unless you grow your produce in a
sterile environment you're at risk from any number of diseases,
salmonella being just one of them - and given the number of possible
vectors of this particular disease it's not enough to assume that
simply using biochemicals is enough to prevent contamination.

In any event, I saw no mention that the lettuces were organically
grown. The presence of horse manure isn't a sufficient basis upon
which to draw that conclusion - and considering the destination of the
lettuces I think it highly unlikely that they were.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk