Old 06-10-2004, 06:15 PM
Roy

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 08:25:36 -0700, ~ jan JJsPond.us
wrote:

===
===I made a floating fountain ............
===....My ponds water has never looked as good as it does right
===now after a couple of days of aeration.... Roy
===
===A few years back there was a guy on here involved in aerating big ponds,
===his mantra said that was all one needed to do to clear them up. He was into
===golf club ponds, etc. You just proved him right, not that we doubted him,
===get enough aeration to the bacteria in the pond and it will do the work. We
===only had a problem when he kept telling people with small ponds and too
===many fish, and small to no filters, that aeration would clear their water.
===He'd did quite grasp the surface area needed part of the equation.
===;o) ~ jan
===
===
=== ~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Well aeration to a poiint is great, and its really the only practical
(read cheap but efective) way to do a larger body of water........but
surface aeration on a smaller typical water garden would be something
I wuld not look to as the sole means of conditioning the water. As
nice as fountains are, calm peacefull resting water plays an important
part as well espcecially if you have plants like lillys
etc........more aeration means more evaporation as well. In a smaller
pond mechanical / bio filtration is the way with some external
aeration both for aesthetics ( if thats your desire) and
functionality. I know my fish like to play in the larger portion of
the pond in the water ripples the fountain creates, but the fish in
the enclosure seem to shy away from the stirred up water and the
ripples...........unless its feeding time! Not much deters them from
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.