Old 06-10-2004, 05:46 PM
Nick Gray

"Cat" wrote in message
I have acquired a handful of young trees, each between 30 and 90 cm tall.
There's one each sweet (Spanish) chestnut, common birch, hazel and

mountain
ash.
I intend to plant them a reasonable distance away from the house, to avoid
blocking light, but apart from that, is there anything I should do/look

out
for/avoid doing?
I assume I need to stake them, any advice on that?
TIA!

Hi Cat,

I wouldn't bother staking them when they are only that tall. If they are
heeled in well, you'll get little root movement, any branch movement will
actually encourage deep root growth and a strong trunk when older. Having
said that, check they haven't lifted after any frost, and reheal as
necessary.

HTH

Nick
http://www.ukgardening.co.uk