Old 06-10-2004, 08:22 PM
ned

"zippo4" wrote in message

Hi

Maybe a daft question but here goes anyway.

Would I be stupid to put a pond in a garden that can get quite
saturated with water? I ask because I remember reading somewhere

that
the reason Milton Keynes has so many lakes/ponds is too help balance
the watertable that was disrupted by so much development.

I seem to recall that the MK area had more than its fair share of
lakes and ponds before the area was populated with concrete cows. It
was the scene of much clay (for the brickworks) and gravel excavation.
The under soil clay layer meant that any hole in the ground just
filled up. Then latterly there was some 'flood plain' creation to
alleviate the effects of the R. Ouse overflowing - as was its seasonal
nature.

--
ned