Old 06-10-2004, 09:41 PM
Mike Lyle

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from "Paul D.Smith" contains these

words:

Before you attach anything I want to warn you. If the shed is
wood, you will need to be able to get to the wood to treat with
timber treatment every couple of years so make sure that the
trelliss is removable and whatever you plant will not suffer from
being detatched while on the trellis and placed on the ground

while
you do what you need to do. Depending what sort of thing you

like
to see growing, I have japanese ivy over a pergola. It is very
vigourous indeed, no flowers to speak of but the leaves turn a
glorious red this time of year. Perhaps you could intersperse it
with some kind of clematis?

Good point. I've seen systems where the trellis is hinged low

down
and the top hooks onto the shed. Painting then involves gentle
lowering the trellis and painting or spraying behind it. Done
carefully, you can avoid damaging most plants this way.

You don't even have to drop it to the horizontal, but can prop it

at
an angle, or hang it from the top of the shed wall.

Another point made by many gardening writers is that you don't want
to work so hard at covering up your shed or whatever that you end up
drawing attention to it. A specimen tree near a telegraph pole
distracts a lot better than the most attractive climber in the world
scrambling _up_ it. One beginner's book says if you've got a
beautiful enough garden, nobody will even notice the zillion-gigawatt
nuclear power station next door, and I reckon that's good psychology.

Mike.