Old 07-10-2004, 12:27 AM
WORSS

I am also looking at Deere tractors. I am buying a house with 1.4 acres and
was thinking of the LT180. However, the dealer is telling me to buy the
lower cost LT160. The LT160 and the LT180 appear very similar except the
160 has the Kohler, single cylinder engine and the 180 has the Kawasaki twin
cylinder engine. he also told me the bagger for the 180 is almost twice the
amount of money that the one for the 160.....any idea why? What do you
think about the engines?

Bill

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message

"JB" wrote in message
ink.net...
Here's my problem: I've got a home on 3 acres. About 3/4s of an acre is
zoysia grass. Nothing's level; it slopes and undulates. So much so that

can't see mowing it with one the larger decks (bigger than 42") or one
without anti scalp wheels. There's about another acre that's flat but

with
surface tree roots and lots of little rocks. It's never been seeded and
it's mostly weeds and such. I mainly just mow it to keep it cleared. The
rest is wooded and I occasionally swing through there with a mower to

keep
the underbrush beat back. I'm also needing a mower with a bagger because
there's a lot of leaves that fall on the zoysia grass. (I don't really
care
about bagging them on the rest of the property.) My thinking is that by
not
going above a 42" deck then I also won't have to buy one of those more
expensive power assisted baggers.

I've mowed the lot with a neighbor's LX255 (5 year's old, single

cylinder,
15 horsepower) It did an OK job but it lugged a little going uphill
through
thick zoysia so I'm thinking more horsepower and 2 cylinders would be a
nice
improvement.

So, in looking for a 2 cylinder John Deere with a 42" deck, I'm looking

at
an L120, LT180 and an LX 280 models. Home Depot is currently discounting
the
L series tractors by $200 - 300. When I talked to the JD dealer about
discounts for the LX he said that they really didn't have a slow sales
period and offer discounts but he could drop it $50 to 100.

Here's my question: Would you buy the cheaper L tractor, (about $2,000).
Or,
invest in the LX version? ($4,000). Is the LX twice as good? Last twice

as
long under similar care and conditions?

TIA

John