Old 07-10-2004, 04:04 AM
Don Fitch

Athena ) posted:

snips
I have kept a small poinsettia in the house from last Christmas.
Does anyone know how to get the plant to create new red leaves (or
flowers?) for this Christmas?

Poinsettias initiate flower-buds (and showy bracts) as a result of night
length. I'm nor sure how many hours of darkness are required, or just when,
but understand that they're fussy (when a new highway went
through south of here (Los Angeles) commercial growers had
problems with scheduling blooming because of automobile headlights
sweeping over the fields at night near curves in the road). You might
decide to settle for having it bloom whenever it decides to (which is
often well after Christmas here in southern California.

Don Fitch